Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What makes it special?

.What makes the month of December special for you? It's always jammed packed with things to do, get done, and attend. Life for most of us, is a whirl this particular month. Leave a comment, if you like, and tell me what makes it special for you?
One thing that my family makes without fail is Mom's Christmas cookie recipe. We've been making them for sixty years. Each household, whether it be my sister-in-laws, myself, or Mom's grandkids; ALL use it for cut-outs that we decorate; then gobble up! The smell of real butter, makes us recall a younger, aproned, pink cheeked Mom, as she corralled her three hoodlums to cut out floury, buttery treats.
One year I baked them in my 50's style easy bake oven, one cookie at a time! We used the same cookie cutters each year, the old fashioned red ones, with a pebbly surface on the inside. Trees, stockings, fat Santa's, and the candy cane cutters, now divided between my two offspring; used in their own divine smelling kitchens. Mom/Gram is 91, and doesn't bake anymore...but the memories are firmly in place.
Santa serves a purpose, and we need him. My kids grew up with naughty/nice lists. Santa can be used as leverage to prevent any behavior lapse. My son is 34 now, and in his heart, I know that he "still believes!"

Want to have some fun? Visit this website! http://www.northpole.com

Stockings are still a big part of Christmas morning. We had the traditional orange in the toe, but the rest was all loot! Stockings were done first, before presents, and after my folks woke up a little to a cup of coffee. I made each of my kids an ornament and a patchwork stocking their first Christmas. They use the same ones today, in their own households.
My daughter just completed her patchwork masterpiece for her daughter, Emmy, nearly two.


This, little darlin', is what I'm waiting for this holiday. The North Carolina kids are coming up after Christmas for a few days; that's when the fun will begin.
Having both of my kids, at home, at the same time, plus my grandbaby....now that is what this mama wants for Christmas!

2 comments:

April said...

looking forward to eating cookies at your house. emmy will be so fun at christmas this year!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Your post is so touching -- I think you have hit on the exact most important thing about the holidays -- it's when loved ones are with you! Cherish them as I know you do --

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!