Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An article from the Farmer's Almanac....

Hail to . . . Your Highness? January 20 – Inauguration Day (U.S.)

It seems impossible to think of the U.S. chief executive as anything but “the President,” but in 1789, John Adams had other ideas. After George Washington was unanimously elected, Congress had to decide on his title. When “the President of the United States” was suggested, Vice President–Elect John Adams disagreed, saying that the title was not dignified enough—after all, he argued, even fire companies and cricket clubs had presidents. Instead, he believed that the leader of the United States needed a grander title and humbly suggested “His Most Benign Highness.” His peers, including George Washington, no doubt thought that Adams’s grandiose suggestion was too reminiscent of the titles of English royalty. They insisted on the more down-to-earth “President of the United States of America.”


Personally, I like how our nation does business. We have a nice, calm way of transferring power. Today was a prime example of graciousness, from both sides.
I was proud of everyone!

4 comments:

Miss Jean said...

Hey! Go on over to my blog! You've won the caption contest!!!! Yea!!!
Miss Jean
@http://inthegardenwithmissjean.blogspot.com

Sue said...

Hi...thank you for visiting my blog and I hope you come back often...We have lots in common, that whole menopause and arthiritis thing!! We must be the same age....and you wrote about my husband, he makes me call him "His Most Benign Highness"....not really I just call him the "Boss"...Sue in Atlanta.

JeanMac said...

I loved watching the wonderful TV coverage - look forward to great things in the future - even tho I'm a Canuck!

Chatty Crone said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I thought yesterday was handled quite graciously.

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!