Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Better Me Tuesday...


Well, today was weigh in day with the better me group. If you want to join this online group, feel free to, and click on Joanne's site, and leave her a comment. She'll contact you then.
My first week was fairly easy. I make lots of high fiber veggies ahead, pots of the free veggie soup, and made some high fiber muffins. I limit meats, and fats. One week down, now the struggle begins! Getting exercise is my biggest hurdle as it's winter in Indiana, and my arthritis hates being outside, and me moving!
Losing 5 lbs. was a nice reward, but won't happen every week!

Here's the recipe for the
Hi-Fiber Delish Muffins:
dry ingredients in a bowl: 1 + 1/2 c. ground up oatmeal (it took 2 c. of oatmeal to make this.
I used the old fashioned oats; dash salt, shake of cinnamon,
1 TBL. baking powder, scant 1/4 c. flaxseed,
2 TBL. flour, 2 TBL. brown sugar,
1-2 TBL of nuts.
In the wet bowl, 2 very ripe bananas, 1 egg white, scant 1/4 c. milk, dash vanilla, 1 TBL. canola oil. I put this all in my mini chopper to blend very well.
Now, mix all together dry/wet, put into a 12-muffin tin, sprayed with Pam. Bake at 425 for 14-15 minutes. It will make 9 -12 muffins.

This isn't a very scientific recipe I know...I was experimenting, and this is exactly how I made them. They turned out great. Really delish! Maybe it was just a fluke! I made another batch this afternoon, tweaking the recipe more. That's what you'll have to do. I ended up with 9 instead of six. I threw in a ground up clementine as I only had one banana. Used more oatmeal, less flax, less flour, no nuts. Tweak it baby, tweak it! If you're doing points, count on 2.

4 comments:

April said...

whooo-hooo! Way to go, Mom! My weigh-in day is tomorrow. I think I am down too. The muffin recipe looks good. I bought some flax meal and some bran cereal to make my muffins, hopefully tonight. Gotta get some fiber in me to fill me up and not feel so hungry!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Well me dear I wish you luck with your healthier eating! I like to make pots of vegetable soup, too, and I spice mine very heavily with red chile flakes and put lots of those baby corns in it, too. Sounds like with your awful weather up there you will need lots of hot soup!!!

April said...

For those of you tracking WW points, this recipe is 29 pts total, so if you make 10-12 muffins, they are 2 pts each!

Miss Janice said...

I started "trying to eat health" several years ago. I can tell you that now I don't feel good when I DON'T eat healthy! Good luck to you...I need to get up from this computer and go walk!

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!