Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

~~Vintage Thingie Thursday~~


Hello, it's Thursday already? This snow has me all discombobulated...and my days are mixed up. It's cabin fever, is what it is! The Malibu, is being held captive in the garage by drifts of snow. Only the Tracker, with four wheel drive, can make it through. I have to wait until Jim gets home before I can make an escape, go to the store, library, and most importantly...get my senior coffee at McDonald's! It's been days and days since my last fix! Anyway.....the vintage stuff, yeah, yeah....

This little green McCoy pitcher is very old. It has been in our family my entire life, and I'm 57. It's older than I am, no comments please! It was purchased at the Hillsdale County Fair, Hillsdale, Michigan, by a friend of my Grandma B's, who gave it to Gram as a gift. This was most likely in the late 30's or early to mid 40's. How or when it came to my mother, I don't know, and she doesn't remember. This was the official orange juice pitcher. Mom used the smallest container that frozen concentrate comes in, to make up a quart of OJ. Sometimes, this was used for sun tea. Those are the only two uses that I recall for it. I've always loved the color and size of this pitcher. When Mom's household broke up, due to her declining health, it was given to me. I feel honored and lucky to have it. Visit Colorado Lady's site to view more, Vintage Thingies!

13 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

57 isn't old, dearie! When you're 97, you'll think back and sigh about how young you were at 57...!!! Love that picture of the pitcher you have! (ha ha, down here we say "pitcher" and "picture" exactly the same...)

Anonymous said...

hhmm.. somehow it makes it so much more special since it was only used for orange juice and sometimes iced tea, doesn't it?
It's beautiful indeed!

Amy said...

I love your jug!

SueLovesCherries said...

That's one very nice pitcher! Nice memories, too!

Anonymous said...

Your post makes me glad I'm here and not there. It's 72 degrees here right now.

How nice it is to have a lovely pitcher with so much meaning for you.

Olde Dame Penniwig is right. When you're 72 you will think 57 is pretty young. I think people tend to think that anyone older than they are are old and anyone younger is young. You my dear are young.

Reading can be addictive. So can blogging. My daughter is addicted to reading. I'm addicted to blogging.

Charlotte

farmlady said...

McCoy pottery, Debussy and Dogs!
Are you a long lost sister that I didn't know about?
I did a whole post today on my McCoy collection for Vintage Thursday. I love that you know where the pitcher came from. It's charming!

Susan said...

That shade of blue is so in right now. My mum used to make orange juice from little 6 ounce frozen too.

Anonymous said...

How sweet to have a special piece with a family history. Love the color.

Kathy b

Anonymous said...

Delightful blue pitcher :)

Beca said...

Amazing how it's survived for so many years. It's lovely. Thanks for sharing. Blessings,
Beca

Unknown said...

I love that you know the history of the pitcher. Be sure to write it down and save it!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Treasure are certainly more special when they once belonged to our Dear Mothers--not to mention the fact that most anything McCoy is truly a Vintage Thingie! I love the color too!
Enjoyed!
Thanks so much for your kind words left at the cabin!
Blessings to you!
Claudia O

Anonymous said...

I love the pitcher...beautiful color!
-Kim

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!