Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

This week in review...

Joshie boy became 36 this week. Here he is pictured with his ninety-three year old Gram. She was a big part of his life, growing up in a single parent household, and is very dear to him. ( I keep asking, HOW, he can be 36, when I still feel 39 inside.) Yeah, yeah, the outside is pushing 59, but baby, on the inside, I'm a perpetual 3-9!


Mom visited for a few days and Addie got some Gram time as well. She was a lap full but very content. Why are Grandma's laps the best?
(Addie wants to know if the plaid slipcover makes her butt look big?)



We've had stormy nights here in NE Indiana. The hollyhocks have suffered and I'm hacking them down, stems loaded with blossoms, sigh...
Twisters and downpours, and broken trees, and power outs. We were lucky here, but others were not. It's cooler this evening; birds are singing. My neighbor had a fire in her fire pit so we gathered buns and hot dogs to roast. Even the mosquitoes gave us a little reprieve.

A nice gal, who is quirky and artsy, and a soul sista, (whom I met since working at the library) has begun teaching me how to knit. So many novels are being written lately involving knitting as part of the plot, there has been a resurgence in interest in it. It was fun this morning to visit her horses, and watch the barn swallows swoop through her open barn. Their muddy nests were above the doors. She's a saint to do this, as I'm dumber than a box of rocks and stiff fingered. We'll see who ends up with the most hair in a week or so....and who has handfuls, yanked out in frustration!

Little blessings everywhere....if we just open our eyes and see them.

12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Hi Susan - haven't heard from you in so long - I'm glad you are doing so good.

Your son's birthday, your mom visiting, is Jim still working?

I'm glad you met a soul sista with your job.

You sound very happy!

sandie

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Does this mean you are becoming a knit-wit? tee hee

Oh, I'm just knit-picking. What a yarn.

Addie, your butt looks TINY near that plaid, honestly! [fingers crossed]

I'm a perpetual 39, too. Times 2, according to my knees.

JeanMac said...

Gosh, I haven't knit in so long - thanks for the reminder - would sure pass the time.

JeanMac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Sounds like you all had a great visit! Oh, to be 39 again! And Addie, your butt looks fine!

Have fun knitting. I've been seeing all those books regarding it. I haven't knitted for years but it would be a great thing to start up this fall. Have a good weekend!

ClassyChassy said...

You'll soon be able to create and sell your wares with that new skill you are learning! I can do many things, but not knitting. I tried. No patience for it, I guess. A friend did teach me some basic crochet stitches before my second son was born - I made him a baby afghan - it was horridly out of "square", so ugly! That was the last crochet project for me, EVER! I have come to grips that I prefer quicker "no-brainer" crafts (no-brainer for ME, that is!) than to sit down and have to think too hard about what I'm doing!!! I hope you show your projects off on your blog, m'dear!

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I'm so out-of-it, wah!!! -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH!!!

In the Light of the Moon said...

Happy Birthday Joshie.My Joshie is 8 and I feel the same way..how can it be..almost 9...I know..mines only nine,but I feel it too..and ask everyday..where does the time go?

I so hope,that we are fire pit,knitting,soul sista buddies too.

Big Hugs,Cat

phaedra96 said...

Ho, ho, ho. If I can learn, so can you. Five hundred dishcloths later......I might move on to something harder-like a HAT! BTW, Happy Birthday to Josh. You can visit my barn swallows and horsies anytime! Jake needs to come play with Keir. Then your dog can smell like the pond like mine does!! Seeeeeeya later!

Buttercup said...

Happy belated birthday to Josh! Addie's butt is teeny tiny. Let me know about the knitting. I have the least ability with knitting, but am tempted to give it another go, too, even with my very arthritic hands.

Ms Sparrow said...

I'm sorry you lost your hollyhocks in the storms. From the picture on your previous post, it looked like they were coming along really good.
The world needs more hollyhocks--and corgis!

ocmist said...

Sorry about your beautiful hollyhocks, but so glad that you haven’t had bad problems with the storms. Your Addie’s butt isn’t as big as BG’s by a long shot! Did she get back at you yet for the Vet visit? LOL

My oldest was 38 in May, and my daughter was 37! You are right… I don’t FEEL old enough to have kids that old! We have a really great guy in our church that could double for your Josh! It’s amazing! I wonder if I could try to remember to get a picture of him. That same big old smile and everything!

I’ve learned how to knit a little… just some of the basic stitches. I sure can’t click along at ninety miles an hour like your see some people doing. I hope you “get it” soon so you don’t lose to much hair. If you are like me, I can’t afford to lose more hair! :)

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!