Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Andrew Carnegie had the right idea!


You know...public libraries are just the best bargain in town!
It seems, that in some form, libraries have always been a part of history. Even the Romans had a dry place for scrolls to be kept when people went to the baths, and wanted a place to read, and reflect on daily life as they knew it.
Sure, we pay taxes to support them; but what we get in return is invaluable. Kids learn that they don't need to be entertained constantly, and that a good book, makes a good friend.
My brothers and I grew up going every Saturday night with our Dad. My kids, went several times a week, to feed their fervor for books and reading. Books light a fire in kids and adults alike.
My happiest employment years were spent working in our local library...my daughter worked there too before heading to college. Our family has always been addicted to books. My Mom is 91, and I do believe that she has read most of the fiction in her small town library!
Josh and I have been going to card-making/scrapbook classes most of the summer once or twice a month. For two bucks, we learn something new, and take home, something handcrafted to send off to family and friends. Libraries are truly the hub of a community, and serve us all in so many ways.
Thank God for these blocky buildings in the center of town, full of books, movies, music, and more. Please utilize these national treasures, financed by Andrew Carnegie in the early 1900's. What a guy, huh?

No comments:

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!