Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Avoid the mirror...at all cost!

Today, I finally gave in and had a low-light done at Wally world. Looking into the mirror was so dang depressing, and affecting my self-esteem making it imperative to get it done. I've been carrying around a fifty dollar bill in my purse for over two months; folded and tucked away for such an emergency!

Does looking in the mirror shock you sometimes? Make you do a double take and say, "egad, who's that old gal that looks just like my long dead grandma?" What happens to us? How do our faces shift so?
I'm 22 on the inside baby....but old, gimpy and crinkled is what the world sees. When did that glacier slide right on over me?
Anyway....I'll put my big girl panties on and deal with it.
It got me thinking though, of the year 1951, and who besides Jim and I were born that year. Just put the year you were born in search and see what names pop up and surprise you.

Other '51'ers were: Dan Fogelberg, Cheryl Ladd, Sting, Robin Williams, Mark Harmon, Dale Earnhardt, Al Franken, Sally Ride, Peabo Bryson, Phil Collins, Yakov Smirnoff, Crystal Gayle, Rush Limbaugh,Tony Danza, and scads of others! I'm thinking many have had chemical/surgical help over the years, as the decades just don't look as bad on them.

14 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

I typed in the year of my birth, and got the entire Peterson families birthdays - all 12 of them! I wonder who THEY are?!?!? Funny! Well, cheer up, you are in good company, and a quick fifty won't even get one eyebrow Botoxed!

Darlene said...

Well, I've got you beat by one year! I can always remember telling me I was born the year of the BIG SNOW (in the Pittsburgh, PA area where I grew up). Then he'd say, "don't you remember?" ... Uugh, NO, I was only like 6 months old, LOL!!!

Believe me, "I FEEL YOUR PAIN" ... the mirror hasn't been nice to me for about 10 years now ...

Thanks for the fun and also for stopping by my blog. Yes, I was in Shipshe and had I know you & knew you were that close, I would have come to meet you ... next time maybe!!

Judypatooote said...

LOL.....your still young...I was born in 1940....that makes me old... but it's funny how I still yell at old ladies while driving, "come on grandma, move it"....or gramps....and Yes I am a granny, so some young person is probably yelling the same thing at me....and the mirror, oh yuck....where did that cute little body go.....it's there, with another persons added to it...I love that picture at the top of your blog...if I could only find a bra to hold those boobs up...and if I could cut off my belly, and certain angles I see love handles. I use to laugh at that phrase... but it's not so cute anymore... the only good news is the eyesight is not as good as it use to be, so I have to look close to see all those defects..LOL
judy

Buttercup said...

It does amaze me when I look in the mirror and see I'm not 17 any more. I know I feel better when I spend time with folks "our age" because I feel right in step. I think the famous folks look so good because when we see them they have professional makeup and lighting. I bet in the mornings just getting out of the shower they don't look all that much better than we do.

Anonymous said...

I started getting gray at 27, doesn't that just suck? (not crazy about that word but it fits) I have vowed to color until my girls are out of school...7 more years.

But, no, the mirror doesn't shock me as often. It does shock me on those rare days when I look into it and actually look better than I expect. Those are rare days because I too feel 22 most of the time.

LADY JANE said...

Gulp...Mirror mirror on the wall! Who is one of the MOST beautiful bloggers of them All? Susan!
Hmmmm....I too need a "re-do as I am feeling well...
kind of GRAMMY-ISH....
Perhaps I shall dye my hair pink...lol....
Oh God...somebody stop me please!!!! How is my precious lil Jimmy and the Corgi babes?

Sarah said...

Being born in '51, I can relate to this...oh, how I can relate! I've learned just to keep my chin(s) up...all of them!

Chatty Crone said...

I have the perfect answer for you - don't look in them irror!

Just kidding.

Look in that mirrow and tell yourself "I am pretty." I mean it. You must tell yourself these things. No we're not '38' any more, but we are woman - hear our roar!

squawmama said...

O girlfriend I feel your pain... What's up with those mirrors in beauty shops anyways... I look so bad in them. LOL LOL The main thing is to stay young at heart no matter how old we get...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Robin said...

Love that cartoon clip at the top! I busted out laughting when I saw it:) Hey, 1951 was a good year...Mark Harmon...oh yeah!! You are in good company!

Ms Sparrow said...

Thanks for the good laugh! That old crone with the 50's boobs is a hoot.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I want to see the lowlights, do you have a picture?

Dearie, you want to talk DEPRESSING??? Well, buy yrself a 10X mirror -- the super-magnifying kind -- I did and what a terrible purchase! I had had the blissful idea that I didn't look all that bad...WRONG...just couldn't SEE myself properly...oh my word, the lines, the stray hairs, the blotches, splotches and the crepe-paper skin...ARGH!!!

Whosyergurl said...

I'm not too far behind you...
this summer, I had a hair disaster so I decided to give my hair a "rest" and I haven't colored for some time now.
EEEEEEKKKK! every time I look into the mirror, I'm GRAYER and GRAYER. ugh.
but, just like you, I feel so young on the inside and know that I am hip and cool...despite what I look like on the outside! :-)
HUGS, Cheryl (WHOSYERGURL)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!