Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chick Lit tip...


Good Evening my little chicks....hope everyone is doing peachy.
Just finished a dandy book and wanted to share it with you.
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, is set in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi. In those days, Jackson was a hotbed of civil rights unrest. There were definite lines drawn between the whites and the blacks. This story is so rich in the description of the women, from both races, living during that time frame.
I literally hated to close this book, and read deep into the night, making myself dopey the next morning. The story is wonderful, and as the intersecting lives cross paths, and the story unfolds...you're hooked. While we're on a southern kick....you may want to see what Paula Deen has to offer below.

Corn and Cheese Fritters
from Paula Deen...these just sound so yummy, that I had to share. I haven't made them yet, but baby, I'm a gonna'!


Ingredients 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
1/4 cup chopped green onion
Vegetable oil for frying

Instructions In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and salt.
In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in corn, cheese, and onion.
In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches; heat oil over medium-high heat to 350˚. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately

Makes 2 dozen (approximately)

7 comments:

Buttercup said...

The book sounds great. I have book club tomorrow night and I will make this a recommendation for us. Any recipe by Paula Deen is a wonderful recipe to try. I got to eat at Lady and Sons in Savannah a few years ago. I asked a woman in a book store what was a good Southern restaurant and she directed me there. I hadn't heard of Paula Deen and there was no line at the door, but what a great recommendation and what a yummy memory.

squawmama said...

The book sounds really good... I have about 5 in queue now abut will keep this one in mind. And OMG do those Corn Fritters sound delish!!! I will try them soon.

Have Fun
(((HUGS)))
Donna

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Halloo dearie. Now wouldn't it be great to snuggle down with a big plate of those fritters and just read a good book far into the night? I just might do that!!!

LADY JANE said...

MMMMM...let me know when they are ready...I can be there in a few hours! Have your gargage sale yet? I'm hopefully having another to get rid of more "stuff" before baby comes.... By the looks of the registry and what she already has...this "little" one is going to need ALOT of space...
The book sounds great...I have not sat and read a book in a long time! Never was much of a reader...I'd rahter do "retro" things I guess...lol...like sew buttons....
Hugs for now Sista...and when in the heck are we ever going to try to get together?

Chatty Crone said...

Love the gun toting nuns on hormones!

I wrote down the name of the book and am going to check it out along with the author you told me about on Alaska. I just need to get to the book store.

Paula Dean's niece or aunt - I forget - has a restaurant here - that specializes in deserts!

JeanMac said...

The book and recipe both sound great.

ocmist said...

Hmmm... I might look that book up. I just finished reading a 6 book series by Michael Phillips that is set in Scotland for the most part. It covers 5 generations. I was up several nights until 4 in the morning with this series, much like his last series, "Secret of the Rose" that I read. He is GREAT!

Note to Lady Jane: Have you ever tried Audio Books? You can listen as you sew, do dishes or yard work, etc.

Those Fritters sound way TOO GOOD! Probably NOT a good idea to make as I'm sure they would NOT be good for my diet... I'd eat them all in one sitting, I think. :( Linda

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!