Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009


You know that you're retro if you can remember darning socks, using a small gourd to slip into the sock as a base to sew on. Who darns socks in today's America...or even sews on a button?

You know that you're retro when you can remember that every home had an old black Underwood somewhere...and typing "...now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party..." as a practice sentence to test the ink ribbon.

You know that you're retro when you can remember wearing saddle shoes in middle school and freshman year.

Retro is a little kinder than the word....OLD...don't ya' think?

11 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

oh crap I'm as retro as dirt, I remember all of these and many more...lol..
Molly

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Really, no one darns a darn thing anymore...LOL...

I think I'm moving past RETRO and into VINTAGE and wonder if I'll make it to ANTIQUE!

squawmama said...

Yes it is a lot better then saying I am old...☺☺☺

(((HUGS)))
Donna

ClassyChassy said...

Fun post - and I'm 'vintage', I think...?

Buttercup said...

I am so retro one of my colleagues asked me today about what I remembered about Woodstock. I do of course sew on buttons and take my shoes to the shoemaker. I polish the furniture with lemon oil and like to shine silver. I was talking with friends yesterday and we talked about putting on shows in our backyards in the summer and being very entertained. Can't imagine kids today being amused by singing and being outside, but it's such a nice memory. I think of myself as classic, but I'll go for Antique, too.

Sherrie said...

Sewing on a button? What is this madness you speak of? Honestly, the button fell off of a brand new pair of Old Navy khakis I bought last April...and the button still sits in my jewelry box today, as the pants hang unworn in my closet. I tried once, but never succeeded in actually threading the wee tiny needles I have. Maybe I'll have a flash of domestic skills one of these days and get it fixed up! :)

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I am retro! I remember it all. I still sew on buttons and try to fix socks!

The computer changed everything. I remember typing that sentence too.

Remember playing outside? Kids don't do that anymore either.

Nancy at the Farm said...

Saddleshoes! I had pairs of them! I still love them! Do they go with anything? Hmmm, may need to think on that.

Terry said...

Howdy
I just recently darned one of my son's socks .
He brought it over to see what could be done without having to go back and struggle with customer service at Walmarts.
It was flawed right out of the package!!
I do like the word retro :)
Retro sounds cool.
I was so surprised to learned that no one sews on buttons anymore from a young co-workers wife .
Little does she know as the children keep arriving and the economy keeps diving she too will love to sew on buttons :)
Blessings to you for the rest of the week.
Hugs
Happy Trails

Mimi said...

Is that really your tummy growling or maybe one of the doggies telling you that they want dinner?

ocmist said...

I'm supposed to be "Older than Dirt," and I remember way to many of these things. I think I've made it to antique... at least I'm pretty creaky when made to move! LOL!

Loved those shoes! Our sentence was something about the "Quick brown fox jumps over the something or other..."

Buttercup, I LOVED those backyard shows, too!

Linda

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!