Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Give a dog a bone...

One of my favorite places to monitor shop on Etsy, is High Priestess of Chaos. She's from Maine, and speaks my language. She's a sick and twisted sista. And, doggone it, I like twisted people! Go visit and see her wares if you'd like.



Got a chuckle last night. Jim called to say that he was pulling a load of 44,000 pounds of Milk Bone dog biscuits. Isn't that a hoot? Bet dogs had their noses up all along the Indiana/Illinois toll road! They are faves of our two piglets...I mean corgis.

Josh and I are working at the fellowship of churches soup supper Tuesday night. Only they won't be serving soup that night. It's going to be a full-fledged turkey extravaganza. Will roast a twenty one pounder, fresh turkey this weekend, to deliver deboned, for the dinner. Our church had a freezer full of donated birds to prepare for the dinner. We'll go help serve and clean up. Should be a fun way to contribute to our little community.

Today, a 68 year old fella, came to the library to work on his resume' and send it to job prospects he found on craigslist. He said that he still owes 80,000 on his home, and at 68, he's trying to figure out the workings of a computer. He needed a LOT of help. Times are really bad. We're living in situations that at 40, we never dreamed we'd be in. All we can do I guess, is to be thankful, and pray a lot, and try to help each other through this rotten time.

Sure hope that we'll come out of it. More households have been touched by this down turn than we realize. What do you think? Will 2011 be our bouncing back year, or another year of depressed finances and futures? Does anyone have full time work with benefits any more? Not in our neck of the woods. Very slim pickings and at minimum wages.
Still...we have more than other countries.
Still, the majority of us have family and friends to brighten our days.
We need to reach out, and touch some lives if we are living in blessings.
Spread it all around.
I'm not talking money, guess I'm talking time, kindness, maybe a bag of food, a ride to the store. Making ourselves slow down enough to notice if someone is having a bad day, or is experiencing pain of some kind. Two minutes to stop and speak and pat an arm.
Actions truly do speak louder than words. Let's all give it a whirl. I double dog dare ya!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Corgidogmama!

That is funny! Your husband hauling Milk Bones! My girls love those for a midnight snackie every night.

That is so sad that a man who is 68 is trying to get a job to pay off a $80,000 loan on his house! I just can't imagine. We are living in a different time. I sure hope that things getter better soon for those who need it.

I'm sure that you and Josh will have a great time serving up turkey on Tuesday. What a blessing you two are!

Hugs,
Angela

Mevely317 said...

G'evening :)
Ya, I'm newly back home with a major case of Brain Drain ... but couldn't wait to drop by.
This is certainly thought-provoking. 'Never thought I'd be sitting here at 60 y/o (DH is 68) living paycheck-to-paycheck. But you're soooo right about ours still being the best spot on the planet.
Great closing lines you've got there!:)

Peanut said...

44,000 pounds of Milk-bones?! That is a load of pup happiness there! And a 22 pounder is a load! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Chatty Crone said...

You are so right - unfortunately - the world is changing and things aren't so good - and it't hard - but you are also right it is the best place ever to live.

Love,
sandie

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Yes I agree times are hard, a dear friend just lost her job and her home within 2 month's of each other, thank Goodness her hubby still has a job after the company down sized, but he is only making minum wage. They had owned their home for 18 yrs, and the bank refused to work with them. She is devistated. I try to help as much as possible, but they had to move in with her daughter & her family for right now.
We all need to pray that God will bring our Country back to it's oldself.
I hope you have a great time serving turkeys at the Church, it sounds like so much fun.
Molly

JeanMac said...

what a great post, anyway we each can help will pull people thru - however small the gesture.

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!