Summing it Up...

Now, that I'm way on the wrong side of sixty, I feel that being true to self is important. "I yam, what I yam." Kindness and smiles are to be given away. Women are strong. Men are more vulnerable than we believe. Husbands may come and go...but one thing I know for sure is that I will NEVAH live without a corgi or coffee in my life if I can prevent it. Come piles of dog fur or hot water!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The calendar says Spring, but 'tis it?


Surely others out there experience this: When you feel a spurt of energy, you take advantage of it. The other day the sun was shining, the sky was blue and life felt pretty good. Since the arthritis wasn't at scream level, getting a head start on spring cleaning felt like the thing to do. Down came the curtains, out came the windex, and the washing machine was busy all afternoon. Cobwebs that decorated corners all winter were annihilated. It felt good to kick butt on a sleepy house that had become cluttered and dust filled. Getting one's house in order, mentally and physically. Just another way for women to express themselves...there's no changing a man, but by golly give us a house to rearrange, and we're happy!

The local retired state rep had his pasture full of spring sheep. Their tails hadn't been docked and it was an interesting sight. I pulled to the shoulder of the highway, and Addie popped her head out to say hello, startling the entire flock into a stampede. Sigh....I think she's menopausal. Do corgis become menopausal? She has all the signs. Snapping, snarling, moodiness, water retention.....
We went to see horses, enjoying the sun's warmth, lazily rolled over onto their sides. Boom! Addie did her glass breaking yip hello, and they jumped up and tore to the other end of the field. Sheesh...she needs to work on socialization skills.

If you know anything about Indiana, you most likely have heard of Shipshewana, in the heart of Amish country. It's full of interesting shops, the sound of clip clops, horse turds in the street, and good food. There's a terrific place to get warm, soft pretzels and cherry cokes and people don't mind standing in line with twenty people in front of them. Anyway, a friend and I are driving up on Thursday. It's about 60 miles north of us, and a pretty drive. The corgi kids will go along and we'll make a day of it. Sort of a girls-dogs day out. Is that legal in all states?

Major projects need to be worked on here. A serious clean up in the garage and organization. The RV needs to be cleaned inside again from our hurried emergency trip to Florida this winter, and put up for sale. I'll be fermenting two straw bales again, getting them ready for garden plants. It worked great last year, no getting down on knees to harvest and a friend who has horses is giving me a couple of bales. Painting...yeah, that's on the list as well, two rooms at least before fall.
Now...where did that energy spurt go? Dang it! The TO DO list is growing. It's no wonder that Jim is on the road all the time...it's an evasive action!

Anyone else thinking about spring projects? Beaches? New book titles? Running away with the UPS man? Hee hee, got 'cha with that one, didn't I?

10 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

My spring project was moving house. The moving part was completed this weekend, now I've moved on to the setting-up/arranging part. It's good to have to go through everything you own once in awhile and purge, purge, purge! Now if only the ice and snow would disappear and the grass reappear, I'd be totally content.

I.M. Vayne said...

Every once in while, lookin' at a blog ya never see'd afore, ya has to wonder about the person writin' it. When I red the line "I'll be fermenting two straw bales again", it sure enough got me to a wonderin' just what I had stumbled upon here.

Gotta admit I.M likin' yer writin' style, but some of them things you was a writin' about, well I don't know. Still, me and Nilda will be lookin' in on ya from time to time to check on the progress of them feermentin' hale bales, if nothin' else.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

LOL, if I was a little younger the UPS man that comes to my house would be in danger, he is one fine looking young man...lol...Yep, cleaned all day yesterday, got 2 bed rooms and the bath finished and my washing machine is begging for a break..sorry charlie got more to do. But I'm headed to Natchez today to the Spring Pilgamage.
Now your Corgi sounds like my ChiChi no social skills at all.
Hope you have a great day my friend.
Molly

Angela said...

Hey Corgidogmama!

I've started my Spring Cleaning too! I started with the kitchen. I have lots of things on top of my cabinets that hadn't been dusted or cleaned for over 2 years because I just didn't have time. I'm working hard on the rest of the house but it doesn't seem to look like I've done anything. I blame the kids on that one!

Every time you talk about your rides in the country with your fur kids it makes me want to go for a ride in the country. I wouldn't have to go that far since that is where I live but I can't get enough of it.

I wouldn't run away with the UPS man we have now but the one that used to come to an office I used to work at over 20 years ago! Whew! That man was handsome! All of us girls would melt at the sight of him!

Have a Great Week!
Angela

Chatty Crone said...

You did get me with the UPS driver - lol.

So I've cleaned out my pantry - does that count?

You are really ready for spring - guess all the snow is gone.

sandie

Mevely317 said...

Girl, you're making me tired just reading this! Had to laugh outloud at the reference to the UPS man ... how did you know, ours is a hottie! :)

LADY JANE said...

Oh my girlfriend...sneaking off to Shipsha without me...deep sigh...I want to go...I need to pack my suitcases and RUN AWAY too! Please think of me while you are standing in all those beautiful lines...out there in Amishville...I love it! I want to go! AND you are spring cleaning too? Really come on...I'm actually consideing rather than BALE farming I might just start a DUST BUNNY FARM...yep I am and lord knows I got quite a little litter started! Well I am going to start the farm...well...lol...when the UPS man and I return from our romantic getaway...there is something about our chubby little fella in his brown shorts...scampering up to my door...oh my GOD it MUST be SpRiNg...well until it snows late this week! OK...enough rambling...HAVE A FUN SAFE TRIP ...without me..DAM!

Pam said...

Oh yeah! That's always been a dream of mine to run away with our hot UPS guy, maybe even the mailman! Send some of your motivation this way for spring cleaning! It sure doesn't feel like spring, cold here and snow on the ground again.

I've been to Shipshewana several times and love it. So much to do and good food too. Love, love those pretzels! Have a blast with your friend and the dogs!

ClassyChassy said...

I'm thinking about spring projects, but its hard to think spring with all the snow in the forecast! We have icicles that refuse to melt even though we had sunshine all weekend!!! I can see some lawn (if I should call it lawn - it is more like dirt with dried grass clumps scattered hither and yon). I'd rather go on a road trip with YOU!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

The UPS thing won't work for me. We got a gal here! And she says she was a fat, tired old lady till she perked up and got the UPS job! Now she's a white-haired fireball with beautiful legs!!! Hmmm, wonder if they're still hiring!!! I could use a transformation!!! And a JOB!

Y'all come back now...

Y'all come back now...

Everyone is special, and counts!